Tuesday 27 May 2008

Day 5 - Thursday

This was not the greatest day. I felt tired and doing the colonics was a real pain in the butt (literally!!!) I am just weary of it all. And both Helen and I could not talking and thinking about food. Everytime we tried to change the topic it would come back to food. Amazing what a big part of our lives it is. Pathetic, really.

In the morning we went in search of Office 2007 software for my computer, so that I can work on the newsletter. All in vain, I am afraid. We tried a few places, but the best I could do was some pirate version for 120 baht (R30). Will have to wait until Phuket.

In the afternoon, we took a drive to see the Grandfather and Grandmother rocks on the beach near Lamai. The rocks, shaped like the male and female sex organ, are quite a tourist attraction. We didn't think much of them - especially seeing the walk down to the beach was lined with stalls selling all sorts of Thai sweets and other eats. Sort of like a torture tunnel, but I kept my eyes straight ahead. Then we had a long swim in the hotel pool - and talked more about food!! Then it was back to the SPA for a colonic cleanse, some broth and some coconut juice. We definitely are a bit low, which I suppose is to be expected. I am tired of the taste of the broth, can't stomach the coconut juice anymore and would love to have another taste - whatever it is. Afterwards, we decided just to drive around Lamai Beach to keep ourselves occupied until exhaustion overtook us. Helen made me keep the window closed so that the cooking smells did not waft in!!! Finally, at 8.30pm we headed for the hotel and bed.

I know everyone has bad days during the fast, so we will slog on. It's not that we are physically hungry - our stomachs are filled with the concoctions we have to drink. The food thing is in the mind. And, overall, things are not really that bad - we can still raise a smile and have a good laugh about our situation. There are plenty of opportunities, what with the ridiculous broths and drinks we are living on, as well as the colonics. The idea of two South Africans starving themselves on a Thai island remains a bizarre idea. We will remain positive, because we both want to get through this.

It will get better and tomorrow will be day 6 - we are nearly there. It really will be get a great achievement for both of us. Who thought I could actually do it? I know that it will change my thinking about food and my body for the better and has been an experience I will never forget. Thank goodness Helen was here or else I might have slipped up. I dream of condensed milk and wholewheat bread and a plate of samp and beans....oh, banish these evil thoughts! Let me quickly make a cup of peppermint tea before I falter... Good night, day five is done!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!

Unknown said...

The saga reads like Babettes Feast in reverse! What a lovely read. Oh! for a bowl of delicious broth to share with you!!!Keep up the good work.

Love to you both.

Gary